You’ve raised kids, maintained other homes, or maybe even enjoyed a fulfilling career—and now you finally have the time and the resources to fill your days with the things that matter most. Here’s our list of the most important qualities to look for when choosing a place to call “home” for your retirement.
1. Location: Many retirees desire a warm climate where they can enjoy their natural surroundings and beautiful views year-round. Waterways is its own haven; an escape from the world where the joys of life are rediscovered. At the same time, its proximity to the thriving city of Savannah makes it easy to enjoy a night out on the town with gourmet cuisine or music of any style.
2. An active lifestyle: Sure, you want some time to relax. However, a very large percentage of retirees are also looking to stay busy with good-for-the-soul activities like kayaking, fishing, biking, walking, gardening, or swimming. Look for a community where you will be motivated to stay active and healthy and you’re surrounded by things you love to do. At Waterways, our many amenities (including our Bill Dance Signature Lake, pedestrian trails, community garden, and multipurpose parks) make it easy to stay engaged.
3. A sense of community: When going through a major lifestyle change like retirement, having authentic connections with friends is invaluable. At Waterways, it’s easy to make friends that are more like family. Through our robust Lifestyle Program coordinated by the Owners Association, residents are able to quickly connect with neighbors who have similar interests. Likewise, fewer and fewer retirees are looking for 55+ communities. At Waterways, you’ll enjoy time spent with your contemporaries, but you’ll also have the chance to relish the company of all generations from time to time. Many Waterways residents maintain that this type of environment helps them to “stay young."
4. An advantageous tax structure: Don’t forget to consider the financial implications of your move! According to Kiplinger, Georgia is one of the most tax-friendly states for retirees. With Social Security income exempt from state taxes as well as an exemption of $65,000 per taxpayer or $130,000 per couple, there are many tax benefits of moving to Georgia for retirement.
5. Connectivity to Nature: Just think, you’ll finally have time to enjoy this beautiful world without so many distractions. Look for a place where there are places to sit and reflect under ancient trees, opportunities to listen to the rippling of a freshwater lake, or places to breathe in the salty air that comes with living on the coast. There aren’t many communities around where you can enjoy lakefront living as well as Intracoastal access. The Waterways Marina is coming soon, and you’ll be one of the first to enjoy it.
About Waterways: Waterways is a 2,300 acre master planned community set amongst the beauty of the Georgia coast, just south of Savannah. Past the entry gates of Waterways lies a new lifestyle centered around water and nature. On any given day, you’ll see a neighbor off to enjoy a few hours of fishing on Grand Lagoon, children playing games in the grass, or a couple taking an evening stroll amongst mature trees. Waterways is like a hidden secret that’s existed here for hundreds of years. The truth is, it’s fresh and new and filled to the brim with opportunity for its residents.
Contact us and a friendly member of our team will be thrilled to tell you more about life in our community.