Labor Day weekend is the perfect opportunity for spending time with family and friends, and there’s no better way to celebrate the long weekend than with a backyard barbecue. Here are some helpful tips to set you up with the perfect barbecue.
- Invite close friends and family. Spend Labor Day with your closest friends. Have people bring sides like mac & cheese, salad, or fruit. If everyone is contributing, this takes the burden off of the host and allows the host to spend time with guests.
- Keep it simple. Don’t try to grill everything at once. Instead, grill veggies before your barbecue begins and warm them up when it’s time to serve. The grill gets crowded easily, so cook your hot dogs and burgers at the same time, while having as much prepared ahead of time as possible.
- Chips & Dip go a long way! Make sure you have snacks out when guests arrive because dinner typically does not start for a little bit. Chips and dip are great for kids and adults to munch on while the food is cooking.
- Play games outside. Fun outdoor game options include flag football, a water balloon toss, capture the flag or really anything that keeps everyone outdoors! A water balloon toss is very simple and inexpensive and takes very little preparation. A game of whiffle ball also requires next to no set up. Having games prepared is a great way to entertain the kids while the adults are cooking or just enjoying some much needed R & R.
- Eat outside. The best part of grilling out with friends and family is sitting outdoors. Grab a picnic table or some lawn chairs for the party, keep it casual and have fun! But don’t forget the citronella candles and bug spray!
Photo courtesy of minimalist.com