Eggs are delicious, whether they are simply scrambled with a little cheese, salt and pepper or they become part of an elegant dish.
Bacon and Egg Salad Sandwich
Try this recipe next time you want to spice up your egg salad:
Ingredients (note: serves 4)
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 slices of cooked bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- Place eggs in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Add enough cold water to sauce pan to cover eggs plus about 1 inch. Bring water to a rolling boil and then turn off the heat. Pour off all of the hot water from the eggs and replace with cold water. Peel eggs and place in a large bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, a fork, or a potato masher, mash eggs.
- Add mayonnaise, diced bacon and onion.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a sandwich made of buttered and toasted bread or as a salad on a bed of greens or slices of tomato.
Baked Eggs with Feta and Tomato Sauce
Looking to incorporate eggs into a healthy dinner? Look no further!
Ingredients (note: serves 2-3)
- ½ small yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 15-oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic
- 2 oz crumbled feta
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place 2 small, shallow baking dishes on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil in an 8-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer 3 minutes until slightly thickened; distribute between baking dishes.
- Sprinkle feta on each (about 2 tablespoons per dish), then gently crack 2 eggs into each. Place baking sheet with dishes in oven. Cook about 15 minutes, until whites are just set.
If you have spare time in the morning, try this recipe for a delicious Breakfast Club Sandwich:
Ingredients (note: serves 6)
- 18 slices bacon (about a 1 lb package)
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 18 slices tomatoes
- 12 leaves Boston lettuce
- 12 slices sandwich bread
- Put the rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
- Line a 15x10 inch (38x25 cm) dish with a sheet of parchment paper and let the sheet of paper go beyond each of the edges.
- Oil the sheet and the sides of the dish.
- Spread the slices of bacon on the cooking plate.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until they are a golden color and crisp.
- Drain excess fat on a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs and 1/4 cup (60 ml) of mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the cooking dish and bake from 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly moist.
- Cut the omelet in 6 portions. Set aside.
- Turn off the oven and return the bacon to the oven to reheat it.
- Assembly: Toast 3 slices of bread and spread mayonnaise on the surfaces.
- On one slice of bread, put the egg and three slices of bacon.
- Cover with a second slice of bread. Put 3 slices of tomato and 2 leaves of lettuce.
- Complete the assembly with a third slice of bread.
- Put a toothpick in each of the 4 corners of the sandwich and cut into triangles.
- Repeat the operation with the rest of the ingredients.
For more egg-related recipes, visit our friends at food.com and prevention.com.
Photo courtesy of thefoodjoy.com.